Chinese paper lanterns are a really great craft for cutting, measuring and ruler practice. I think my son got the idea from the Treehouse website, but I’m not 100% sure. I just know that he came and asked me if we could make paper lanterns after playing some games on treehouse.com. I didn’t know exactly what he was talking about, so I googled something about paper lanterns and found this site.
What you need:
- construction paper
- scotch tape
How we made them:
- Cut a 1 ” strip from a long side of your piece of construction paper. This will be used for the handle.
- Fold your paper in half, long sides together.
- Draw a line about 1.5 inches from the long sides that you have just folded together.
- Draw lines about 1 inch apart from the folded edge of the paper down to the line that you drew in step 3 (see picture above for visual).
- Cut along the vertical lines that you just drew being sure to stop at the line drawn in step 3.
- Unfold your paper.*
- Tape the two short ends together and tape the handle to the top.
*At this point, for a more finished look, you can refold the paper the other way so that the marker lines are on the inside.