If you have a chocolate lover in your house (as I do!) this cake is a must try. I stumbled across it in a Best of the Bake-Off Pillsbury cookbook a few years ago. I made it for my husband’s birthday and he has requested it for every birthday since. You can find the recipe on the Pillsbury website. Here is how mine turned out this year:
I also found a cupcake version of this recipe on the net a few years ago. I can’t find the original site anymore, so I’ll post the recipe here.
Chocolate Fudge Walnut Cupcakes
* 4 (1 ounce) squares semisweet chocolate, chopped
* 1 cup butter
* 1 cup all-purpose flour, sifted
* 1 3/4 cups white sugar
* 4 eggs
* 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
* 2 cups chopped pecans
1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees F (165 degrees C). Line 24 muffin cups with paper liners. In the top of a double boiler, combine chocolate and butter. Heat, stirring occasionally, until mixture is melted and smooth. Remove from heat and allow to cool to lukewarm.
2. Sift flour and sugar together into a large bowl. With mixer on low speed, beat in eggs one at a time. Stir in chocolate mixture, vanilla and pecans. Fill muffin cups 2/3 full.
3. Bake in the preheated oven for 25 minutes. Do not overbake. Tops should be shiny but give slightly when touched.