I came across this idea on jugglingwithkids.com and thought it would be right up our alley. Sure enough, the kids loved it! I only wish it lasted longer. The whole activity was done in under 10 minutes 😦
Here’s what we did:
- Fill a tall vase with water.
- Pour a small amount of water into a small cup that’s good for pouring.
- Add 3-4 drops of liquid food colouring to the oil. Do not add more than that! Your water will darken fast enough with only 3 or 4 drops. We added 4 drops, one each of purple, pink, blue and green.
- Mix up the oil and food colouring with a fork. Mix it until you have only tiny droplets of food colouring throughout the oil.
- Pour the oil mixture into the vase.
- Watch as the colours fall from the oil down into the water.